Saturday, December 16, 2017

2017 In Review, Part 2


Perhaps the best book I had opportunity to read in 2017 was the book by Dennis Venema and Scott McKnight, Adam and the Genome. The authors explain the implications of recent genetic research and evolutionary theory and then seek to read the Bible in light of these implications. Everyone comes to the Bible with a particular perspective; they are making theirs explicit and helping us to understand that there is no conflict between science and faith. It is not overly technical but will be a stretch for those who start from a viewpoint that there is a conflict between the two. If that is the case, I encourage you to expand your horizons and read this book.

I love a good musical, and so my favourite movie that I saw in 2017 was La La Land. Yes, I know some of the acting is wooden and even some of the dance scenes are stiff, but I allowed myself to get immersed in the movie and loved it just the same.

We seem to be on a roll about some of my much-loved media from 2017, so let’s continue with a song that was released in 2008 but was on repeat in my car for a bunch of 2017. “Broken From the Start” by Jonathan Foreman is a song of the Fall. It reminds us that love and heartbreak are common to the human condition and that our hearts start from a place of brokenness.

In 2017, many scientists worked persistently to find Dark Matter. The debate about whether or not the material exists continues and speaks of the intelligence and mystery of our Creator. We continue to wait upon intelligent minds who might solve this enigmatic question.

Another significant event in my year was the trip I took to Houston, TX for the BioLogos conference entitled “Christ and Creation.” Much like seeing a “kid in a candy-store,” I am sure I was wide-eyed and joyful for much of the three-day conference. My blogpost from April 2 recounts some of the highlights.


On May 9th, I attempted to express my growing understanding of the problem of pain, a good God, and evolutionary creation. One can readily see the slow progress my mind has made on such topics and the hope that my words will inspire others to keep pressing on for more and more answers. Stay curious my friends.


No comments: