Thursday, August 23, 2012

Hope in You

Regardless of one's philosophical or spiritual perspective, the words found in the middle of 1 Peter 3:15 in the Bible are helpful. There we read that we are to "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have." As a follower of Jesus this "hope" in me hinges upon Jesus and the resurrection. But, if you are not a follower of Jesus then the implied question is still a pertinent one. "What is the reason for the hope that is in you?" What makes it possible for you to keep on hoping in a better day? What motivates you to keep on working and doing the things you do in this world?

Often, we go on through life without asking these questions. We seek to stay asleep to such big philosophical questions. Quite frankly, they can make our brain hurt or these questions might actually scare us. We hang onto anything that allows us to go on in life without thinking about ultimate questions. Dan Mangan, in his song "Sold," seems to allude to being sold out to whatever will work to keep him going.

But if it keeps the hair out of my eyes
Pack it up and send it home
For just one stab at the good life
That's enough and I'm sold
Lord, I'm sold
Go on pack me up, I'm sold

Certainly, whether we come from a Christian, atheistic, Buddhist, Jewish, Muslim, agnostic, humanist, or some other perspective, it is wise to take stock of our internal motivations. Have we simply sold out to the path of least resistance, the good life, consumerism, capitalism, being a nice person, . . . ? Deep down, do we wonder if our approach to life is really working? Mangan confesses to being "sold" and yet,

it hurts, it kills, it screams,
And it fills my heart with chills
And I take my pills
But I'm still tired of sleeping with the light on

Do we, like Mangan, confess that all of this is not really worth it "'less you're sure to make it through." What does it even mean to "make it through?" Perhaps we would do well to meditate upon these words, "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have." I'm asking. In the comment section below, tell me of the "hope in you."

Complete lyrics to "Sold:"

I thought the suits had come for me
Found alternatives to honesty
Body and soul were bought and sold
Patented and out of reach

So I reach but it hurts, it kills, it screams,
And it fills my heart with chills
And I take my pills
But I'm still tired of sleeping with the light on

But if it keeps the hair out of my eyes
Pack it up and send it home
For just one stab at the good life
That's enough and I'm sold

So I gave up all my wretched thoughts
And left them out for the less fortunate
And at the gates I'll skip the queue
Life's not living 'less you're sure to make it through

But now it hurts, it kills, it screams,
And it fills my heart with chills
And I take my pills
But I'm still tired of sleeping with the light on

But if it keeps the hair out of my eyes
Pack it up and send it home
For just one stab at the good life
That's enough and I'm sold
Lord, I'm sold
Go on pack me up, I'm sold

Go on pack me up, I'm sold
Go on pack me up, I'm sold
Go on pack me up, I'm sold
Go on pack me up, I'm sold
Go on pack me up, I'm sold
Pack me up, I'm sold

If it keeps the hair out of my eyes
Pack it up and send it home
For just one stab at the good life
That's enough and I'm sold

(I looked but could not confirm the author of this song. If anyone knows who wrote this please let me know so that I can give appropriate credit. Until then, we will refer to it as a Dan Mangan song.)

The rest of 1 Peter 3:15 and 16: "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander." (New International Version 1984.)

No comments: