Thursday, December 30, 2010

Showing Up

I have always appreciated Woody Allen's humour and movies. I probably disagree with him on just about everything. Yet, Allen is very good at communicating great philosophical ideas in his movies. I recall trying to get my head around Existentialism in college and finding that Woody Allen could explain it perfectly with Stardust Memories. Many of his other movies seem odd on the surface but are actually well-written explanations of how people view our world. Woody Allen once said,
Eighty percent of success is showing up.*
This is one area in which I agree with Woody Allen. There is a lot to be said for showing up. There is a lot to be said for going to work each day and doing what is expected of me; getting out of bed and going for a run when I would rather pull the covers over my head; taking the time to "show up" with God; spending time in spiritual disciplines. Certainly, in the world of blogging, success is showing up and blogging. As we start the new year, I am well aware that there are many things over which I will have little or no control. One thing I can do is show up.

*Woody Allen, US movie actor, comedian, & director (1935 - ). As quoted in "The Quotations Page."

No comments: