Sunday, April 18, 2010

A New Twist on An Old Tale

The Pharisee sermon by Amos Nidiffe
He also told this parable to some who trusted that they were righteous and regarded others with contempt.
Two people went to church to pray, one an intellectual, the other a politician. The intellectual, standing by himself, was praying thus, "God I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, capitalists, conservatives or even like this politician. I garden, eat organic and shop fair trade."
The politician, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven but beat his chest saying, "God be merciful to me, a sinner!"
I tell you, this man went home justified rather than the intellectual; for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted.*


*"Sermon No. 12," Geez magazine, Summer, 2008, p. 38. Amos Nidiffer lives in his native Carter County, Tennessee.

No comments: