Monday, May 11, 2009

Question Marks and Exclamation Points

We were sitting in our living room with some friends discussing Beluga whales at the Vancouver Aquarium and the fact that one of them was pregnant. Someone asked, “What is the gestation period for a Beluga?” Not having a marine biologist in the group, no one knew. However, a quick Google search gave us the answer. We live in a world that offers almost limitless information at our finger-tips. Yet, we have more questions than any other time in history.

I just watched a television debate on the question, “Does Satan Exist?”* Everyone in the debate claimed to believe in God. Only two of the panellists believed in Satan. It was a popular debate showing that people are interested in this and other such questions. We question the meaning of life and why we are on this planet. We can observe and quantify brain waves and neural chemical processes but we question consciousness, love, and altruism. Science can’t give adequate answers regarding why or how such things exist.

Maybe it is time we consult God rather than Google. God Himself is a mystery too big for us to fully comprehend. Yet He has partially revealed Himself to us and we now understand God and our world as if we were looking at them through a bad mirror. In his song, “Naïve,” Chris Rice says “I believe You hold an exclamation point for every question mark.” We may not have the answers, but the answers exist. God holds them in His hands.

By the way, for those who are still wondering, the gestation period for a Beluga whale is 14-15 months. I thought I would save you having to Google it yourself.

Naïve – Chris Rice; Past the Edges (1998).
How long until You defend Your name and set the record right
And how far will You allow the human race to run and hide
And how much can You tolerate our weaknesses
Before You step into our sky blue and say "That’s quite enough!"

Am I naive to want a remedy for every bitter heart
Can I believe You hold an exclamation point for every question mark
And can I leave the timing of this universe in bigger hands
And may I be so bold to ask You to please hurry?

I hear that a God who’s good would never let the evil run so long
But I say it’s because You’re good You’re giving us more time, yeah
‘Cause I believe that You love to show us mercy
But when will You step into our sky blue
And say "That’s quite enough, and your time is up!"

Am I naive to want a remedy for every bitter heart
Can I believe You hold an exclamation point for every question mark
And can I leave the timing of this universe in bigger hands
And may I be so bold to ask You to please hurry?

Am I naive...
Can I believe...
And can I leave...in bigger hands
And may I be so bold to ask You, to ask You, to ask You

How long?

*You can watch the debate here. Unfortunately, the debate is a Hollywood debate with little substance and does not help anyone come to any conclusions.

No comments: