Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Liquid




“Liquid” is a brilliant song by the band known as Jars of Clay. They blend an ancient 11th century chant with contemporary music and lyrics that flow together with creativity and beauty. They remind us that in the midst of the many questions and perplexities of this world, there is at least one constant. They state that there is “one thing that I know” and challenge us to find the “one thing” about which they speak. The “arms nailed down,” what do they tell me? The “eyes turned out,” for whom are they looking? The chant gives an answer: “The Lamb has redeemed the sheep; The innocent Christ has reconciled sinners to the Father.”

Liquid

Chant:
Agnus redemit oves
Christus innocens Patri
(reconciliavit peccatores) – this part is not sung in the chant but completes the thought[1]
[Translation: The Lamb has redeemed the sheep; The innocent Christ (has reconciled sinners) to the Father.]

Arms nailed down
Are you telling me something?
Eyes turned out
Are you looking for someone?

This is the one thing
The one thing that I know

Blood-stained brow
Are you dying for nothing?
Flesh and blood
Is it so elemental?

This is the one thing
The one thing that I know
This is the one thing
The one thing that I know

Blood stained brow
He wasn't broken for nothing
Arms nailed down
He didn't die for nothing

This is the one thing
The one thing that I know
This is the one thing
The one thing that I know
This is the one thing
The one thing that I know
This is the one thing
The one thing that I know

Songwriters
COUGLE, JOSHUA MICHAEL / BRONLEEWE, MATTHEW RYAN / DE JESUS, MIGUEL A. JR. / LOWELL, CHARLIE / MASON, STEPHEN DANIEL
Published by/Lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group


[1] Victimae Paschali Laudes by Wipo of Burgundy; https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Victimae_Paschali_Laudes

No comments: