Friday, March 13, 2015

Silence

“. . . a silence that is overwhelming in its eloquence.”
Somebody should write a book someday about the silences in Scripture. Maybe somebody already has. "For God alone my soul waits in silence," the psalmist says (62:1), which is the silence of waiting. Or "Be not silent, O God of my praise," which is the silence of the God we wait for (109:1). "And when the Lamb opened the seventh seal," says the book of Revelation, "there was silence in heaven" (8: I) - the silence of creation itself coming to an end and of a new creation about to begin. But the silence that has always most haunted me is the silence of Jesus before Pilate. Pilate asks his famous question, "What is truth?" (John 18:38), and Jesus answers him with a silence that is overwhelming in its eloquence. In case there should be any question as to what that silence meant, on another occasion Jesus put it into words for his disciple Thomas. "I," he said, "I am the truth" (14:6). From a sermon by Frederick Buechner entitled “The Truth of Stories;” in The Clown in the Belfry and also in Secrets in the Dark.


With thanks to the Jordan Blasetti and Mahogany Church for drawing my attention to this quote.

No comments: