Thursday, December 23, 2010

Puppet Strings

PUPPET STRINGS:
I can't keep from mourning for this topsy-
turvy world / With all its strife and pain /
Mourning for the lost and the desperate
children / Who can't remember their
names

And I can feel it in my soul / Now the end
is getting near / I can hear the devil
laughing / And its ringing in my ears

Long ago He chose us to inherit all His
kingdom / And we were blessed with light
/ But wandering away we disobeyed Him
in the garden / And stumbled into night

And I can feel it in my soul / Now the end
is getting near / I can hear the angels
weeping / And it's ringing in my ears

We are all like foolish puppets who
desiring to be kings / Now lie pitifully
crippled after cutting our own strings

But God said I'll forgive you I will face you
Man to man / And win your love again /
Oh how could there be possibly a greater
gift of love / Than dying for a friend

And I can feel it in my soul / Now the end
is getting near / I can hear the devil
laughing / And it's ringing in my ears

We are all like foolish puppets who
desiring to be kings / Now lie pitifully
crippled after cutting our own strings

Cutting our own strings / Cutting our own
strings / Cutting our own strings*
REDEMPTION:
Then his father, Zechariah, was filled with the Holy Spirit and gave this prophecy:
“Praise the Lord, the God of Israel,
because he has visited and redeemed his people.
He has sent us a mighty Savior
from the royal line of his servant David,
just as he promised
through his holy prophets long ago.
Now we will be saved from our enemies
and from all who hate us.
He has been merciful to our ancestors
by remembering his sacred covenant—
the covenant he swore with an oath
to our ancestor Abraham.
We have been rescued from our enemies
so we can serve God without fear,
in holiness and righteousness
for as long as we live.

And you, my little son,
will be called the prophet of the Most High,
because you will prepare the way for the Lord.
You will tell his people how to find salvation
through forgiveness of their sins.
Because of God’s tender mercy,
the morning light from heaven is about to break upon us,
to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death,
and to guide us to the path of peace.” - Luke 1:67-79 (New Living Translation)

*Randy Stonehill © 1976 KING OF HEARTS PUBLISHING
Nifty-Music.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Such dramatic intentions and stories to quell the simplicity of our lives. The grandeur of God teaches the very best of the intentions we all strive towards: perfection.

The character of David is a fascinating one (in both the old and new testaments), one that cannot be ignored by our hearts and thoughts as a savior or messiah. Something which i think all humans do wish for in secret and hope for in spirit or prayer.

Perhaps this wishful thinking is a lot like desiring to be a king... however dramatically succinct the storyteller describes the scope of the proposition. Like cutting out own strings... Ive read that the Charlemagne was victimized by this condition... but then aren't we all to some extent, and is that not the reason for its place in the canon of monotheism?