Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Character

I had a dream last night that prompted me to think about the word "character." More specifically, I have been thinking about "good character." What does it mean to be a person of good character? In this dream I was asked for my opinion of a definition of character. The definition I was given was, "the ability to ask good questions." I considered the definition and said, "yes, it is the ability to ask good questions but also the ability to make good choices." Good character is about asking good questions and making good choices whether or not anyone will ever see our good questions and good choices. J. C. Watts said,
Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught.
May each of us seek to be a person who lives in such a way that our secret choices might be shouted from the roof-tops without fear or fault.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I deal with this question alot too. I read a quote once that stuck with me:

"A man's character is his destiny."