Sunday, June 7, 2009

Roof Tile Syndrome

Mark Buchanan, pastor of New Life Church in Duncan, BC, speaks of roof-tile syndrome.
Roof-tile Syndrome is when we are so caught up in the preaching of Jesus, we turn our backs to the needs of those still outside the building. We become barriers and not gateways. It's when we care more about keeping things intact than about restoring lives that are shattered. It's when we're more upset when stuff gets broken than excited when the broken are mended. It's when church gets reduced to the preaching of Jesus so that we fail to notice that we're seeing very little of the forgiveness and healing of Jesus. It is when we are so fearful about upsetting the religious folk (or homeowners) in our midst that we stop taking risks to get people to Jesus.
It's when my program, my office, my title, my privilege, my influence, my comfort takes precedence over others' needs.
It's when the church exists for itself; to hell with the rest of you.*
Are we willing to wreck the roof to bring the Kingdom of God to people? If this Jesus is the wild and untamed Lion of Judah who wants us to follow Him and bring others to Him, then our answer must be yes! Unfortunately, we sometimes let things get in the way of bringing justice and truth to people. We let our comfort or our leisure, or something else get in the way of helping people and bringing them to Jesus. I must ask myself, "What is the roof I am trying to protect?" "What is preventing me from providing for the needs of others?"

Today, I choose to wreck the roof.

*Mark Buchanan, “Wreck the Roof,”
http://www.christianitytoday.com/le/2007/001/13.52.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A week go this past Friday I had the chance to speak to a group of youth groups at the Bonavita Baptist church here in Calgary. My friend Aaron asked if I would incorporate some of my own story as to the events which left me in a wheelchair. I thought it most appropriate to interlace it with the story of the healing Jesus brought to the paralytic.

Anyways, I found myself reflecting on that evening while reading your latest post Keith. Particularly on the points I brought to them regarding the “radical hospitality” of the paralytic’s friends. They were so driven to bring their friend to the feet of Jesus that they were willing to rip the person’s house apart to do it! They ripped the tiles clean off their neighbor’s roof!

I too wonder… how far are we willing to go to let the “outlander” come to the feet of Jesus? Are we willing to make the radical changes which are needed so that people of disability, different beliefs, mental and psychological need, and maybe even social or dare I say it sexual orientation might find a place in our individual communities so that they to might encounter a risen Jesus which brings transformation, liberation, and reconstitution?

I think I’ll join you today and peel a few tiles off my roof too!